If you care for a child who has a severe disability and is in need of full-time and special care, you may qualify for a child dependency grant.
The care dependency grant covers disabled children from birth until they turn 18.
To qualify you must:
- be a parent, primary caregiver or a foster parent appointed by the court.
- be a South African citizen or permanent resident.
- not earn more than R180 000 a year if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R360 000 a year if you are married.
Note: This income limit does not apply to foster parents.
The child must:
- be younger than 18 years.
- not be cared for permanently in a state institution.
- have a severe disability and need full-time and special care.
- Both you and the child must live in South Africa.
Note: A state medical officer must assess the child before the grant will be approved.
How to apply
Visit your local SASSA office and bring the following:
- Parent/s, primary caregiver, or foster parent/s bar-coded ID.
- Child/ren’s birth certificate.
- A medical report for the child, which must say what the child is able to do – this is known as a functional assessment.
- If you are the foster parent of the child, the court order making you the foster parent.
- Proof of your marital status, such as a marriage certificate, divorce papers, or a death certificate of your spouse, or a sworn statement (affidavit) if you have never married.
- Proof of your income and if you receive a care dependency grant, the primary caregiver must ensure that the child:
- Be tested at the age of six years to see whether he or she needs special schooling.
- Receives appropriate education according to the level of disability.
- Remains in their care.
- Lives in adequate housing.
- Is fed and given clothes to wear.
- Receives the necessary medical and dental care.
- Not be in a wholly-funded state-run institution.
How long does it take?
- It may take up to three months to process your application.
- If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the date on which you applied.
How much does it cost?
The service is free.