Business people and companies that have made their mark in South Africa have been rewarded for their achievements at the prestigious SA Premier Business Awards.
The country's top business awards, hosted by the Department of Trade and Industry (dti), Proudly South African and Brand SA, took place in Sandton, Gauteng recently.
The awards recognise business excellence and honour enterprises, which promote the spirit of success and innovation, job creation, good business ethics and quality.
One of the top awards at the event, the Lifetime Achievement Award, went to entrepreneur and businessman Dr Richard Maponya.
He was rewarded for his significant contribution to the development of South African business, as well as his contribution to the community.
Dr Maponya is the first recipient of this award and has been hailed as a shining light in South African business.
He has been referred to as the ¡§father of black retail¡¨ and serves as an inspiration to young entrepreneurs across the country.
Dr Maponya's name is synonymous with enterprise and philanthropy. He has built his business into a force to be reckoned with, despite the restrictions of apartheid.
Among his many business ventures is the Maponya Mall in Pimville, Soweto.
Accompanying the award was the prize a bursary, valued at R110 000, which Dr Maponya will allocate to a business leader of his chose, who will attend the General Management Programme at the Gordon Institute of Business Science.
Other winners at the SA Premier Business Awards included:
- Rural Development Award: Social Change Assistance Trust.
- SMME Award: Malcom - Ezindaleni Hydraulics & Engineering (Pty) Ltd.
- Young Entrepreneur Award: Miss Earth South Africa.
- Women-Owned Enterprise Award: Segakweng Enterprise and Strategy Consulting.
- Quality Award: Coega Dairy.
- Technology Award: Tshwane University of Technology.
- Green Award: MTN SA.
- Media Award: Talk Radio 702/567 Cape Talk.
- Proudly South African Enterprise Award: G.U.D Holdings (Pty) Ltd.
- Most Empowered Enterprise Award: MTN SA.
- Investor Award: Nestle (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd.
- Manufacturer Award: Powertech and Bell Equipment Company SA (Pty) Ltd.
- Exporter Award: Abagold and Saab Grintek Defence (Pty) Ltd.