Jan 2024 edition

SRD grant opens business opportunity for Umlazi entrepreneur

written by Neo Bodumela
Mbali Sikhosana owner of NUZ Tasty Pies.The Social Relief of Distress Grant (SRD) – known as the R350 grant – may not seem much to some, but to many it is a path to financial freedom.

One such former beneficiary is Mbali Sikhosana from Umlazi in KwaZulu Natal who turned that R350 into a thriving business. She is one of 8.5 million people in South Africa who benefitted from the grant since the 2022/23 financial year.  Sikhosana is the owner of Nuz Tasty Pies.  “I started the business because I needed financial freedom and freedom of time. I knew I couldn’t work for someone. I have always wanted to be my own boss and create job opportunities,” she said.

The business started in January 2023. Her thriving clientele base includes individuals, event planners, tuck shop owners and six high schools.

She says although she has faced challenges as an entrepreneur, she has no regrets.

“[One of the challenges] is delivering on time due to the size of  equipment that I have.

“But so far so good, I have no regrets I would do  it over and over again. Although there are challenges but starting my own thing was the best decision I’ve ever made…I started with just R350,” she said.

Although this business is still in its infancy, the 25-year-old has big plans for the future.

“I wish to [deliver to other provinces] but I’m currently struggling to find a company that couriers frozen foods. My dream is to hire 3000 employees and have restaurants all over Africa,” she said.

Extended period

Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana in November announced that the SRD grant will be extended to March 2025.

“Government proposes that the fiscal framework make provision for funding for the grant for 2024/25. Beyond this, a comprehensive review of the entire social grant system by the Department of Social Development and the National Treasury is required,” Godongwana announced.  

You can apply for the SRD Grant in the following ways:

You will need your ID document and will also have to have your personal and banking details at hand.

Share this page