Artists and producers are invited to submit applications for an opportunity to showcase their work at the 2022 National Arts Festival.
Applications are already open and will close on 12 November.
The National Arts Festival is the biggest annual celebration of the arts on the African continent. It aims to create a space for artists and audiences to come together, engage and create unique cultural experiences over 11 days.
The festival’s Chief Executive Officer Monica Newton says the call for applications is for finished works that are for live production only.
“The call for the 2022 National Arts Festival Fringe will be announced separately. A call will also go out for online works early in 2022,” she says.
The festival will take place in Makhanda in the Eastern Cape, from 23 June to 3 July 2022. Newton is hoping that it will be back to its live format.
“The past two years have been unexpected and unpredictable. It has been a journey that has taken us into new formats and ways of delivering work.”
Every year, the programme includes drama, dance, physical theatre, comedy, opera, music, jazz, visual art exhibitions, film, student theatre, street theatre, lectures, a craft fair and workshops.
How to apply
- Applicants must submit the following information:
- A short biography of the artist;
- Brief biographies of all artists involved;
- A description and history of the work or project;
- Short summary;
- Project description;
- What pandemic considerations you have had to make, or could consider making, in the event of audience or travel restrictions;
- A budget to make or prepare the work and travel it, showing where you have other investments already and where you need to raise additional funds.
Applications must be submitted online at https://nationalartsfestival.co.za/national-arts-festival-2022-call-for…
For more information, email email@example.com or call 0860 002 004.