The Department of Water and Sanitation has called on Grade 12 learners interested in pursuing qualifications related to the water sector to apply for its bursaries.
“Bursary applications for students with an interest in science and engineering disciplines are currently open.
“We urge Grade 12 learners particularly to apply, as we are in dire need of young and innovative minds to join the sector,” says the department’s spokesperson, Sputnik Ratau.
Applications opened on 1 June 2021 and will close on 31 October 2021.
The bursaries cover full tuition fees, accommodation and food as per university guidance, books and stationery allowance and a monthly stipend.
The department will allocate bursaries to students after taking into consideration academic performance, financial need and the relevant skills set for the water and sanitation sector.
“Through the bursaries offered to students, the department then provides employment contracts, during which the bursars get relevant workplace exposure and additional training until they are ready to register as professionals with their relevant professional bodies,” Ratau says.
For 2022, the department says it will consider applications for first and second year of study, only for the following qualifications:
- BSc (Bachelor of Science)/BEng in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical.
- BSc (Hons) in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical.
- BSc in Hydrology, Geohydrology, Environmental Management, Project Management, Environmental Sciences and Environmental and Water Sciences.
- BSc (Hons) in Hydrology, Geohydrology, Environmental Management, Project Management, Environmental Sciences and Environmental and Water Sciences.
- National Diploma/BEng Tech in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, lectrical Engineering (Heavy Current), National Diploma in Water Care and Environmental Management and Biochemistry.
“Our bursaries mainly target previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and rural communities.
“We are also encouraging students with disabilities to make use of this opportunity and send through their applications,” Ratau says. -SAnews.gov.za
Application forms can be accessed at: