Each year the Government Employees Medical Scheme (GEMS) encourages its members to review their healthcare needs and make the decision on whether they wish to remain on their current benefit option or choose to move to a different option.
“We are pleased to announce that we have extended our option selection change period to 15 March 2020 for all members wishing to switch to the Emerald Value Option. The extension period will further give members enough time to evaluate their healthcare needs and make the right choice before the closing date.” says Phumelela Dhlomo, Chief Marketing Officer.
Members switching to Emerald Value Option and prospective members will enjoy the same rich benefits as the existing Emerald option, but at a more affordable rate, such as:
- Comprehensive in-and-out-of-hospital cover;
- Members nominate a network General Practitioner (GP) as their first-line when seeking medical care and who they will consult for all their doctor visits;
- Specialist referral must be obtained from member’s nominated GP for all specialist consultations; and
- Members must use a hospital from the GEMS Hospital Network for all in-hospital needs.
The other good news for public service employees is that GEMS has changed the name of the Sapphire option which is now called Tanzanite One with bigger, better and richer benefits. Tanzanite One symbolises an evolution of the Basic Benefit Package and transformation which forms part of GEMS’ business strategy that seeks to ensure more value for members. Tanzanite One members will enjoy:
- Comprehensive in-hospital and out-of-hospital cover;
- Public service employees on salary levels 1 – 5 may enjoy up to 100% subsidy from their employer. This means they could be getting so much more without paying a single cent!
- Members will now have access to a network of healthcare providers by nominating a GP of their choice to coordinate their healthcare needs;
- Access to the GEMS Hospital Network;
- Using hospitals on the GEMS network means members will not experience out of pocket payments – allowing them to really do more for their families;
- Unlimited GP and specialist consultations; and
- Access to Over-The-Counter (OTC) medicine.
Dial *134*20018# or 0860 00 4367 to make the switch today. For more information on the benefit enhancements for 2020, contact GEMS using one of the following channels: contact centre: 0860 00 4367, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.gems.gov.za.
Working towards a healthier you