Nov 2019 2nd Edition

Helpful numbers for survivors of GBV

South Africa has a number of organisations that survivors of Gender-Based Violence (GBV) can approach for counselling and after being abused.

Vuk’uzenzele has compiled a list of places that survivors of abuse can go to for help.

People Opposed to Women  Abuse (POWA)

POWA provides counselling, both telephonically and in person face-to-face, as well as legal assistance to women who have been abused.


Phone number: 011 642 434/6


Childline South Africa

This non-profit organisation helps abused children and their families. It deals with issues such as physical and sexual abuse, substance abuse, behavioural problems and trafficking, and gives legal advice.


Toll-free helpline: 0800 055 555


Child  Welfare South Africa

Child Welfare South Africa focuses on child protection, child care and family development. Neglect and child abuse can also be reported to them.


Phone number: 074 080 8315


Family and Marriage Association of SA (FAMSA)

FAMSA provides counselling and education to help improve marriages and family. It provides assistance in cases of domestic violence and trauma, divorces and mediation. FAMSA has offices throughout the country.


Phone number: 011 975 7106/7


Tears Foundation

Founded in 2012, this non-profit organisation provides a database of medical, legal and psychological services available in South Africa to help those who have been raped or survived sexual abuse.


Phone number: 010 590 5920


GBV Command Centre

The Department of Social Development opened a GBV Command Centre in November 2013. It operates 24 hours a day and is operational all year long to assist victims of GBV.

The command centre can be reached in a number of ways, including on their emergency toll-free number at 0800 428 428, or by sending a please call me to *120*7867#

You can also add Help Me GBV to your skype contacts and send a message. This platform is also used to help victims in the deaf community who use South African Sign Language to communicate. 

Other options are to SMS Help to 31531, or to visit  


Share this page