The 12th edition of the Annual Mzansi Fela Festival has a varied programme that sees the performing arts casting the spotlight on serious social issues. The nine-act lineup offers a range of productions.
The State Theatre will raise the curtain on the 12th Annual Mzansi Fela Festival on 1 December, World Aids Day.
Popular musicians Zonke, Thandiswa Mazwai, Caiphus Semenya, Samthing Soweto and Ringo Madlingozi will headline the event which will run from 1 to 22 Dcember.
At the start of the festival there will be a moment of silence for World Aids Day and in recognition of the HIV and AIDS pandemic.
State Theatre Artistic Director Aubrey Sekhabi said the festival has many components. There will also be theatre performances, music, book launches, lectures about the arts and a programme for 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children. "This will contribute to national efforts to fight the scourge of Gender-Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF)", Sekgabi said.
In addition, campaigns of 16 Days of Theatre Activism against Gender-Based Violence will start on 24 November and end on 10 December.
Sekgabi said the festival promotes social cohesion and domestic tourism by profiling South African work in the arts space.
“When people come into the city around the festive season they are able to enjoy the content that is locally produced. The festival attracts people from all walks of life and a lot of people can relate through music,” he said.
- Zonke| 1 December| Tickets range between R300-R500.
- CADO| 1-13 December|Tickets are R30.
- Kwanele| 1 – 15 December|Tickets are between R100-R150.
- Simphiwe Dana Symphony Experience| 07 December| Tickects are between R500-R1000.
- Caiphus Semenya| 8 December |Tickets are between R250-R400.
- Hillsong| 9- 13 December|Tickets R50.
- Thandiswa Mazwai| 13 December |Tickets are between R200-R350.
- Samthing Soweto and Ringo Madlingozi| 22 December|Tickets are between R200-R300.
- 16 Days of Theatre Activism Against Gender Based Violence| 24 November- 10 December|Tickets are R100.
- Tickets are obtainable at Webticket and over the counter at Pick n Pay outlets nationwide.