There are currently over one million people receiving disability grants. People with disabilities not receiving a grant can apply at their local South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office.
To qualify you must:
- be a South African citizen or permanent resident or refugee and living in South Africa at the time of application.
- be between 18 and 59-years-old.
- not be cared for in a state institution.
- have a 13-digit, bar-coded identity document (ID).
- not earn more than R69 000 if you are single or R138 000 if married.
- not have assets worth more than R990 000 if you are single or R1 980 000 if you are married.
- undergo a medical examination where a doctor appointed by the state will assess the degree of your disability.
For more information, visit your nearest SASSA office or call 0800 601 011