Fun & games
There's been a lot of talk in the media lately about climate change and the negative effect it has on the enviornment. It leads to natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and tsunamis. But human actions can also affect the environment negatively.
A lot of the things we use in our homes and at work, as well as some of the things we do affect the environment in some way or another. It can be products we use to clean our homes, polllution from traffic, using more electiricity and water than we really need and the waste materials we throw away.
How can we be more eco-friendly?
- Plastic is a major cause of environmental pollution, so don’t throw away your old plastic bags; use them every time you go shopping. You will save money and help the environment.
- Use carrier bags made of cloth instead of plastic bags for grocery shopping.
- Save energy by using energy-saving light bulbs. Turn off lights, appliances and your television when you’re not using them. Turn your geyser to a lower setting. When boiling water use only the amount of water you will need.
- Use water sparingly.
- Use eco friendly products in your home like cleaning liquids with no harmful chemicals.
- Plant more trees; they help to filter pollution from the air, prevent soil erosion and provide people and animals with food and shelter.
- Things like glass, paper, and plastic can be recycled. Most Pick n Pay stores have in-store bins for recycling batteries, light bulbs, ink cartridges, plastic bags and packaging. For a countrywide list of Glass Banks from the Glass Recycling Company, visit www.theglassrecyclingcompany.co.za/