The Presidential Hotline 17737 should only be used when all your attempts to get assistance from a government department, province, municipality or state agency have failed. However, the hotline is not only a complaints line. You can also call to share your views or provide solutions to the challenges in your community.
Other government departments also have dedicated customer care hotlines for information, lodging complaints about service delivery and enquiries.
Some of these numbers - those that start with 0800 are toll-free, which means you don’t pay for the call. If you dial any of the numbers that start with 086, you share the cost of the call with the company or department whose number you dialled. The remaining numbers - those starting with an area code - are landline numbers for which you pay.
- Anti-corruption Hotline (national, provincial and municipal levels): 0800 701 701
- Department of Basic Education: 0800 202 933
- Department of Defence and Military Veterans toll-free Crime Line: 0800 222 091
- Department of Environmental Affairs: 086 111 2468 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Childhood Cancer Foundation of SA: 086 111 3500
- Aids Helpline: 0800 012 322
- Department of Home Affairs: General enquiries: identity documents and travel documents: 0800 60 11 90
- Department of Human Settlements: 0800 14 68 73
- Department of International Relations and Cooperation after-hours helpline: 012 351 1000
- Independent Complaints Directorate (for complaints against police conduct): 012 399 0000 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Department of Public Works: 0800 782 542 (for now this dedicated to retired engineers and artisans to contact the Department)
- Department of Rural Development and Land Reform Eviction toll-free line: 0800 00 70 95
- Gateway Call Centre for general inquiries about government services: 1020