Various convictions have been obtained for fraud and corruption.
- Three police officers were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment, ranging from seven to 10 years.
- A Department of Home Affairs official was convicted and sentenced to eight years.
- A municipal employee is serving nine years.
- The Asset Forfeiture Unit (AFU) has recovered millions from individuals charged with corruption. The unit obtained a preservation order for R144 million for municipal land that was sold to private individuals and, in the Northern Cape, it obtained a confiscation order for R59.8 million that was fraudulently claimed and charged by a company for a lease agreement with provincial government.
- There were five serious corruption cases in the private sector in 2016/2017. One of the cases involved a South African Revenue Services’ employee who assisted a business man to submit fraudulent VAT returns worth over R4 million. The accused was sentenced to 15 years.
- Two businessmen were convicted of offences involving corruption and money laundering to the tune of R600 million. They were sentenced to 15 and 12 years.