Oct 2015

What you need to know about child maintenance

Government is working hard to improve maintenance systems and ensuring that parents take responsibility for the upbringing of their children.
Who should pay maintenance?

• It is a legal obligation of both the biological parents, grandparents or legal guardian of the child to pay maintenance.

Can I claim maintenance from grandparents?

• Yes maintenance can be claimed from the biological grandparent if the parents cannot pay maintenance.

Is maintenance a responsibility of biological parents only?

• No, any person who is responsible to raise the child i.e legal guardian, adoptive parents and grandparents of the child, if the biological parents do not have means to pay maintenance.

Why must you pay maintenance?

• You must pay maintenance for proper living and upbringing of the child, and includes the provision of food, clothing, accommodation, medical care and education.

Is it compulsory to pay maintenance?

• Yes, it is compulsory to pay maintenance.

How often should maintenance be paid?

• The maintenance money should be paid every month on the dates agreed upon by both the parties and granted by the court.

How much money should be paid for maintenance?

• The amount payable for maintenance will be determined by the needs of the child and the financial means of the parents.

At what age should you stop paying maintenance?

• The maintenance should be paid until the child is self-supporting.

What happens when the person responsible for paying child maintenance dies?

• The maintenance money should be paid out from the deceased estate for future maintenance.

What documents do I need to lodge a maintenance claim?

• The Identity document, birth certificate of the child, bank statements of both the parents, list of the expenses of the child, list of expenses of both the parents, etc.

Can I claim maintenance while living together with the father/mother of the child?

• Yes, you can claim maintenance if the other parent does not take responsibility of maintaining the child.

Can I go to any magistrate court in the country to lodge maintenance?

• Yes, you can go to any local magistrate court where you and/or the child reside.

Did you know?

If a person has defaulted on paying maintenance, their personal details will be submitted to all credit bureaus. This will prevent maintenance defaulters from continuing to receive credit while owing maintenance.

For more information contact your Regional Maintenance Complaints Manager:

Mpumalanga : Ngwenya Coleen
Tel : 013 947 2363
Email : CNgwenya@justice.gov.za

Limpopo : Ngwatla Kgomotsho
Tel : 015 287 2179
Email : KNgwatla@justice.gov.za

KwaZulu-Natal : Moodley Ryan
Tel :031 372 3165
Email : RyMoodley@justice.gov.za

North West : Mashilo Ramoroka
Tel : 018 397 7053
Email : MasRamoroka@justice.gov.za

Northern Cape: Morris Ivodia
Tel : 053 839 0000
Email : IMorris@justice.gov.za

Western Cape: Gaironisa Benjamin
Tel: 021 462 5471
Email : GBenjamin@justice.gov.za

Gauteng: Sithole Dzudzani
Tel : 011 332 9044
Email: DzSithole@justice.gov.za

Free State: Vungayi Ntombizanele
Tel: 051 407 1800
Email : NVungayi@justice.gov.za

Eastern Cape: Mokhibo Gwintsa
Tel: 043 702 7068
Email: MGwintsa@justice.gov.za

Safety and Security
Share this page