The roadshows follow the ground-breaking National Skills Accord which was signed by Minister Nzimande with representatives of organised business, labour and community-based structures in Pretoria last year.
The roadshows were aimed at discussing key aspects of the national programme for skills development and the widening of access to post-school education for the youth. One of the aims of the accord is to improve the role and performance of FET colleges.
Other aims are to:
- improve Sector Education and Training Authority governance, financial management and stakeholder involvement
- align training to the New Growth Path and improve Sector Skills Plans
- expand the level of training using existing facilities more fully
- make internship and placement opportunities available within workplaces
- set guidelines of ratios of trainees to artisans and across technical vocations
- improve the funding of training and the use of funds available and incentives to companies to train
- have annual targets for training in state-owned enterprises.