1. Persons who have the responsibility of a parent with respect to a child placed in:
- a foster home
- a youth care centre
- a place of safety
- an orphanage.
2. A person who is a caregiver of an orphan or a child who has been abandoned by his or her parents and is without any visible means of support.
3. A person who receives a social grant (such as a child support grant and care dependency grant) on behalf of a child.
4. A child who heads a household.
What should a parent do to be granted automatic exemption?
1. Parents must obtain one of the following documents:
(i) a sworn statement or affidavit confirmed by the South African Police Service, a social worker or other competent authority, or
(ii) a court order.
2. The document must be handed to the principal of the school or a member of the governing body.
Parents qualifying for full exemption are not required to pay any school fees.