Oct 2012

Open bank account to get your maintenance money

Albert Pule

If you receive maintenance money through the courts, you will receive the money faster if you open an account.
This was the call by the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development while briefing the Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa) about progress in the development and achievements of third-party funds management.
Bank accounts are expected to decrease the number of fraud cases. “In the 2011/12 financial year the department investigated 68 cases of fraud and corruption involving R2,6 million. Out of this amount, R2,1 mil- lion has been recovered, and over R530 000 is still outstanding,” the department said in a statement.
To improve service delivery, the department initiated a court-level electronic payment system with which beneficiaries can now have their maintenance money paid directly in their bank accounts.
This system has been implemented in 135 courts, which means that 102 000 beneficiaries are now receiving their money within 24 to 48 hours.
The department’s priority is to pay maintenance on time and accurately to the beneficiaries who are generally minor children and people living with disabilities. The aim of this service is that people spend less time in queues in courts, while contributing towards poverty alleviation.

How to open a bank account
Opening a bank account is an important step in taking control of your finances. Banks have different services to help you manage your money. They also have different bank accounts.
If you are under 18 years old, you need to take your parent or guardian along to the bank.

The parent or guardian must take:

  • His/her green ID book or a temporary ID book
  • His/her proof of residence

You must take:

  • Your green ID book or your birth certificate
  • Money to open the account

If you are 18 years or older, you must take:

  • Your green ID book or a temporary ID book
  • Your proof of residence
  • Money to open the account

The amount you need to open the ac- count will depend on the type of account you want to open. Most entry-level savings accounts require a R20 or R30 opening balance.
Proof of residence

  • Water and electricity or phone bill with your name and address on it.
  • Or a letter from someone you stay with explaining that you live at the same address.
  • A bill in that person’s name will need to be supplied with the letter.
  • If you don’t have a formal address, you can write a letter explaining where you live, take it to a police station and ask for an affidavit as proof of residence.
  • A police officer will then stamp your letter and it will act as a formal statement, or affidavit, of where you live. Most banks will accept this as proof of residence.
Share this page